Sunday, November 6, 2011

Lebanese Lentil Soup

 This lentil soup is inspired by one on a blog written by a Lebanese woman.  I add additional seasoning, and I cook it a bit longer. It is a very comforting, tasty and easily vegetarian soup to make.


The recipe calls for red lentils. These are not the same as the lentils most of us are used to, and they can't be interchanged.  I buy them at Treasure Island because our Dominick's doesn't sell them.  The brand I use is Ziyad.

2 small onions, roughly chopped 
4-5 garlic cloves 
2 cups red lentils
10 cups of water or chicken/vegetable stock (I use chicken stock)
2 T cumin 
2 T tumeric
salt & pepper 

Saute the onion in a large pot with some olive oil until softened. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the lentils and stock/water. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and tumeric. Bring to a boil then simmer on low heat (covered) for 30 minutes. Serve with a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice.

No comments: