Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sausage and Pepper Ragout w/Polenta

I've gotten into a bit of a dinner rut. I have some great go-to meals that I can make with my eyes closed, but I've decided to make more of an effort to try new recipes at least one night per week. Good thing I have stacks of great cookbooks that have helped me spice things up in the kitchen :) 

This one comes from the Williams-Sonoma Weeknight Fast + Fresh. As with all new recipes, it took me a bit longer to prepare than it probably should have, but now that I'm familiar with the steps, the next time I make this it will be "Fast"

Olive oil, 2 Tbs
Hot or sweet Italian turkey or pork sausages (veggie sausage if you like it), 1 lb
Large red onion, 1, sliced
Large red bell peppers, 2, thinly sliced
Large poblano chile, 1, seeded and thinly sliced
Red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp
Italian tomatoes, 1 can (28 oz)
Dry white wine, 1 C (I used a sauvignon blanc...I enjoyed a glass while I cooked)
Small white onion, 1/2, chopped
Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Polenta, 1 C (the recipe calls for uncooked, but I used instant polenta...just follow the instructions below, but add only about 1 C water or broth; it will need to cook just until it's to your desired warmth)
Romano cheese, 3/4 C, coarsely grated
Fresh marjoram, 4 Tbs, chopped (Whole Foods didn't have this, so I subbed with oregano)

In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs of the oil. Pierce the sausages several times with a small knife, and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes total. Transfer the sausages to a plate. Pour off all but 2 Tbs fat from the pan. Add the red onion, bell peppers, chile and pepper flakes, and saute until they begin to brown, stirring up the browned bits, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices and the wine. Simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors, breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Return the sausages to the pan, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer, turning occasionally, until the sausages are cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, warm the remaining 1 Tbs oil. Add the chopped onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 4 C water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp black pepper and bring to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low and simmer slowly, stirring frequently, until the polenta is thick, about 18 minutes. Mix in the cheese and 1 Tbs of the marjoram/oregano. 

Bring the sausage mixture to a boil. Mix in the remaining 3 Tbs marjoram/oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon the polenta onto 4 warmed plates. Spoon the sausage* mixture on top of the polenta, dividing it among the plates, and serve right away.

*Cut the sausages at an angle into bite-sized pieces prior to serving

No comments: