Monday, April 27, 2009

Home Made Chicken Soup

Chicken Soup Recipe

This is not written any where I just have it stored in my brain so I hope it makes sense….

3 boxes of Chicken broth

4 bay leaves

10 black corn peppers

1 small bunch of parsley – tie together

3 stalks of celery – cut each of them in ½

1 med red potato left unpeeled

1 med onion – peeled

1 med turnip left unpeeled

1 small bag of baby carrots ( you can use regular carrots –this just saves me time- I also like the organic ones – they are a little thicker- if you like lots of carrots you can add more)

½ of a chicken leave skins and bones on for flavor – I do not use the liver or gizzards

1 med head of cabbage cut into quarters (optional if you don’t like cabbage)

1 package of fresh dill – use later after soup cooks as a garnish when serving.

Get a large tall pot that will hold all of the above while allowing to

Simmer / low boil.

Put broth in pot, add ½ chicken

Next put in all the rest of the items listed except the carrots and the cabbage. I put those in later they can be put in now but can turn too soft and mushy after cooking so long.

Let cook simmer / low boil for at least 3 hours.

After 3 hours remove celery, parsley, potato, onion and bay leaves these can be discarded.

At this point you can remove the chicken if you want, I do. I let it cool a little and then skin and remove from the bones and put meat back into the pot to eat with soup or you can serve it on the side if you like.

Add carrots and cabbage let cook for 1 hour or till done.

Cut up fresh dill very finely- serve on top of hot soup in bowls (again this is optional) and enjoy!

1 comment:

HomemadeMother said...

I can't wait to try this out. Chicken soup is a favorite in our house!