Monday, September 27, 2010

Split Pea Soup

Chris has been asking for soups lately, so every Sunday night I make a big pot and he brings some to work every day for lunch. With the weather getting decidedly fall-like this weekend, he requested split pea for the week.

I was busy for most of the day yesterday, so I knew I'd have to rely on the Crock-Pot from Grandma/Nana/Mom/Aunt Flo/Manna to do most of the work while I slept. Assembling the ingredients took about 10 minutes - and 10 hours later the soup was ready!

For the vegetarians out there (or meat eaters like me who don't like ham!) this can be made without the ham or chicken broth. Just be sure to use vegetable broth for the flavor boost. I kept the pieces of ham on the larger size so I can easily pick them out - haha!

1 bag green split peas (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 cups chopped ham
1 yellow onion, diced
4 stalks of celery, diced (you can include the leaves, too!)
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups water
1 bay leaf
Fresh ground pepper

Layer the above ingredients in the slow cooker in the exact order shown above. Do not stir. Cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours.

No comments: