Monday, October 25, 2010

Kelly's Czech Goulash


Last year, when I was in Prague, I tried goulash for the first time--and I couldn't believe that our family--we ARE Bohemian, thanks to Papa--never ever makes this for family gatherings!! It's SO GOOD!! So when I got back to Ireland, I started researching Czech goulash recipes. (Czech goulash is quite different from its gross older brother, Hungarian goulash, which I tried in Budapest--yuck). I combined elements from a few different recipes and here is the tasty final product! I made it for the first time tonight and it blew my roommates' minds. Adjust amounts to your taste, I like more onion and paprika and less salt--it's a work in progress!

3 tablespoons cooking oil
3 medium sized onions, chopped
1 1/4 pounds stew beef, cubed
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons paprika (I use both sweet and hot paprika--faaavorite ingredient!)
2 teaspoons caraway seed
3-5 tablespoons flour, depending on desired thickness
About 8 oz crushed tomatoes, chopped
About 3 cups of cold water
Salt and pepper to taste
Marjoram, Parsley, sour cream

Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
Add onion and cook until wilted.
Add beef. Brown.
Add garlic, paprika, caraway seed, salt, pepper, flour. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and about 3 cups of water.
Bring to boil, then cover and simmer at least an hour.
Serve with sour cream, marjoram, and parsley. I love it with whole grain bread and saurkraut.
Eat while thinking of the Anna Dolejshi, Jan Slivka, Maria Kuchta, Andrew Katovsky--and Great Grandma Slivka Smithe!

No comments: